Wednesday 1 April 2015

Surprises on the internet

Margaret Clough

Three exciting messages:
First a notification−
“You have won two and a half million pounds!”
Not rands! Pounds!
In a lottery I never entered.


Immediately, of course,
I booked a ticket on a Mediterranean cruise,
put in an offer for a mansion in Constantia
and splashed out on Gucci shoes,
silk dresses and designer jeans
and a down payment
on a BMW.


Then came an offer
from a man who loves my profile
and wants to get to know me better.
He is looking for a long term relationship!
(A long term relationship?
I’m seventy eight years old;
how long-term does he think
that it could be?)


Without delay I engaged a wedding planner
to arrange a ceremony at Val de Vie,
lodged a wedding present list at House and Home,
and got together all my old school friends
to form an entourage in tulle and lace
to complement an Errol Arendse
embroidered bridal gown.

The third surprise: an invitation
for an eightieth birthday tea,
starting in the afternoon and ending fairly early.

I believe this one was actually

meant for me.



From: McGregor Poetry Anthology 2013
Published by African Sun Press in association with the McGregor Poetry Festival
ISBN number 978-0-620-62302-5


The Poet:



Margaret Clough is a retired soil chemist and science teacher. She has published one collection, At Least the Duck Survived; and her poems have been published variously in Litnet, South Africa Writing, Carapace and New Contrast.











Previously published:
Margaret Clough: By Sandvlei Shore and What are you doing this evening from At Least the Duck Survived. Modjaji Books, Cape Town, 2011. ISBN 978-1-920397-85-2. Surprises on the Internet from Carapace Volume 94 Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment